Waffles, Waffles and More Waffles

   The story I'm about to tell is a little odd.  I figure it's best if I warn you ahead of time so you don't read this and then reach out saying "Christine, that's a weird story."  I embrace my particular brand of weird, but you should know what you're getting into.

  A lot of people have certain bench marks for being a grown up.  Their first car, the first apartment they live in by themselves, the super dream job.  My definition of adulthood when I was 19 was owning a fancy cappuccino maker and a Belgian Waffle maker from Williams Sonoma.  What can I say, I dig breakfast...like A LOT!  

  When I moved out to live with the man who would become my hubby (way before Ivy was born) my mom bought me both as a gift to show me how proud she was of me.  I loved those two kitchen appliances so much!  Fast forward more than a few years and I was the mother of two selective eaters.  What was one of the only things that the two of them loved without fail?  (No, I wasn't pumping my babies with caffeine!)  You guessed it!  Waffles for the win!

  I have been making these waffles weekly for the family (they reheat so well and that aforementioned hubby loves them too) for years!  I've tried a handful of times to tweak the recipe and while Ivy's been receptive; my boys do not like when I change things on them.

  I'm going to give you the normal sized batch recipe but in all honesty, I double this puppy every time.  We really do love waffles around here.  So if you're looking for a recipe that you can freeze and reheat any time you want, you can double away!


The Mommy's Yummy Waffle Batter (Adapted over the years from Betty Crocker Cookbook Waffles)

2 cups flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

1 1/2 cups whole milk (if you want to sub in buttermilk - go for it, but make sure to add a 1 teaspoon baking soda to the dry ingredients)

1/2 cup vegetable oil


Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.  This is your dry team.  If you plan on using buttermilk, add the baking soda to the dry team as well.

Next up, the wet team and the way you combine them is SUPER important.  You're going to need one more big bowl.  I like to use one with a spout to make life easier.  First, beat the eggs until they lighten in color.  A lot of waffle recipes will have you separate the whites and yolks and you can but for us it never made enough of a difference to warrant all the extra work and cleaning another bowl.  Next, whisk or beat in the milk.  I use a handheld mixer for these steps because, as I mentioned earlier, I double this recipe but a whisk will do the trick.  Finally, mix in the oil.  Following these steps will make sure that your wet team doesn't separate and get all weird.

Time for the wet team and the dry team to come together.  Now, if I were left to my own devices, I would caution against over mixing this batter.  Get everything combined and then walk away.  My sweet hubby likes his waffles dense like pound cake and lumps freak him out so I mix until smooth.  That being said, I suggest that YOU mix until it's just combined and don't be afraid of lumps.

This is a THICK batter.  Let it rest for 5 minutes before you even think about putting any on your waffle iron.  And since every waffle iron is different, follow the instructions for your waffle iron and your desired level of crispiness.  The crew around here loves deep, dark waffles-but this is your show so cook them the way you like.

Usually, someone is anxiously waiting to grab them as soon as they're done around here.  If your family is more patient than mine you can put them on a sheet pan with a rack inside a 225 degree oven to stay warm.  If you're going to stock up and freeze them, cool them completely on a rack before storing them in freezer bags and removing as much air as you can before you pop them in the freezer.

Enjoy with your favorite syrup, fruit, fried chicken, chocolate chips or whatever makes your heart happy!


0 comments