Scotcheroo's for Back to School

 

Something about Back to School just makes me crave old fashioned treats.  It's not even that I'm super nostalgic, but there's something so comforting about those snacks that you remember grabbing when you finished your school day and you were hangry.


Or maybe, like me (and now Ivy), you brown bagged it and someone who loved you snuck a fun treat into your lunch.  My mom was the queen of treats and sweet notes to get me over that mid day hump.  I've carried on the tradition, even if Ivy is all grown up. :)

These scotcharoos (or Special K bars if you're doing a search on the internet) are so easy and since they've got peanut butter in them, I'm gonna call them a protein pick me up for those mid day, gotta get homework done munchies.  Of course, they've got a bunch of chocolate too, but you're only young once, right?




These bars are so easy to make and they're worth the effort.  I've elevated them with a dark chocolate and sea salt, but you use the chocolate you like!

Ingredients:
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup granulate sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
6 cups corn flakes
1 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
Flaky Sea Salt (optional)
Milk Chocolate Shavings (optional)

Instructions:
1.  Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper
2. Place peanut butter, maple syrup, sugar and oil in pan and heat until sugar is dissolved.
3.  Put cornflakes in a large bowl and pour the peanut butter mixture in slowly and mix the whole time util thoroughly coated.
4.  Press cornflake/peanut butter mixture into prepared pan and put in refridgerator for 45 minutes.
5.  Melt the dark chocolate (microwave or double boiler) and pour over cooled mixture in pan.  I like to swirl it and make it pretty.  Sprinkle on sea salt if using.  Place back in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
6.  Add some milk chocolate shavings if using and cut into squares.  I like to wrap them in individual wax papers, bag in a ziplock and store in the fridge for 5 days if they last that long! :). Enjoy with a giant glass of milk...at least that's how Ivy and I do it!


0 comments