Sourdough Discard Blueberry Bread

 It's been so hot lately and I swear, it takes something for me to turn the oven on.  But, I hate wasting sourdough discard and summer fruit is so abundant right now...


This quick bread was my solution and it came out so yummy!  Now, a couple of things I would change from when I made it, toss the blueberries in some flour before I put them in so they wouldn't sink to the bottom so badly, but it was delicious even with them on the base of the bread.  Honestly, you could make this bread with pretty much any summer fruit you wanted.  Maybe I'll try peaches next time...


I also had a lot of fun styling this one for pictures.  I don't think I've ever cut a blueberry in half before.  I mean, they're the perfect size to just pop in your mouth!  Isn't it funny how literally none of a blueberry is actually blue?  In the words of George Carlin... "Where's the blue food?" :)


If you don't make sourdough and don't have any discard on hand, you can use just about any quick bread recipe and pop blueberries in it.  But if you DO have sourdough discard begging to be used, the extra tang and moistness it adds to this bread is amazing.  I definitely encourage you to give it a try.


Sourdough Discard Blueberry Loaf
Recipe adapted from Hearts Content Farmhouse

1 3/4 cup fluffed all-purpose flour (stir your flour to add air to it and spoon it into your measuring cup)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk ( I like whole but you can use whatever you like)
3/4 cup 100% hydration sourdough discard
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 3/4 cups fresh blueberries


Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk (add more if you like a thinner glaze)

Instructions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350° at sea level and 365° at high altitude (this will help prevent your quick bread falling at altitude.  Trust me, this has been my bug a boo for YEARS!). Line a standard size loaf pan with parchment paper with some overhang so you can use it to lift the loaf out.

2.  Combine all your dry ingredients in a small bowl minus 1/4 flour.  In a separate small bowl, toss the blueberries in the reserved flour.

3.  In a larger mixing bowl add flour and lemon zest.  Work them together with your fingers until fragrant.  Add the oil and fully incorporate the sugar into the oil.  Add eggs one at a time.

4.  Measure milk, starter, vanilla and lemon juice in large liquid measuring cup.

5.  Beginning and ending with flour, add flour and milk/starter until just combined.  Don't overmix!  Fold in blueberries.  Pour batter into prepared pan and bake on the middle rack for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

6.  Remove from oven when done and let cool completely in pan.  Just before removing from pan, mix up the glaze.  Take the loaf out, drizzle with glaze and you can top with more blueberries if you'd like.  Let the glaze set up for at least 20 minutes and then slice and enjoy with a big cup of coffee!

0 comments